Disquiet Junto 0278 MacConnel’s Jingle

The Junto this week proposes the artwork "Jingle" (1980) by Kim MacConnel as a graphic score.

I've got to admit that I planned to use Shiver Me Timbers and the green zigzag immediately suggested a bassline that slid up and down.

The statue is classical and the quotation marks led me to cast my eye around for literate to appropriate. I settled on e.e.cummings' 73 Poems and didn't get too far before singing "for any ruffian of the sky" and "seeker of truth" over a simple 12-bar riff.

And the monkey on the end led me to think jungle music. So I fetched my kick drum and was surprised to find the drum acting as resonator on the bass was larger.

The result is rough but only have this evening to record for the Junto this week. It's inspired me to look for more poety to interpret musically though.