naviarhaiku390 – for that brief moment

I've never seen a firefly but the haiku shared by Naviar Records reminded me of the praying mantis that I watched hunting while on a holiday at Easter.

Drop beats not bombs

Disquiet Junto 0495 Protip Etude

The Disquiet Junto project this week involves sharing "a tip for making music or working with sound, and record a track that employs it."

I've made a short track using wind organs, which you can learn to make in this video.



naviarhaiku389 – The ocean in June

The haiku shared by Naviar Records this week reminded me that I'd made recordings at Valla Beach earlier this year.

Guys who say they're kinky

Disquiet Junto 0494 Insect Menagerie

The Disquiet Junto activity this week is to "Record a 20-second clip of the sounds of an insect that you yourself have invented."

I've managed to record the renown Australian Stutterbug (Cicadoidea Interruptus).

Delay distortion chorus


Disquiet Junto 0493 AudioCorrect

The Disquiet Junto project this week asks participants to "Think about the utility and the useful failures inherent in autocorrect and apply this to your music."

It prompted my mind to wander back to a piece of music that I've struggled to revisit.

Back in 2016 I was inspired by Morphine to explore an open tuning on my guitar, settling on four strings tuned DDAE.

Thinking back and the tuning inspired a variety of music.

Recently I'd used the song 'Reflections' in my soundtrack for The Lost World and my partner had singled out the song for praise.

So I tried to correct the piece by generating MIDI in Ableton Live, quantising and then setting a scale.

The key still eludes me, as it starts in G minor and then has a couple of changes, including a stray semitone in the melody and then it rises a tone.

Anyway, I wanted to hear it as performed on a Rhodes-style electric piano and tried to removing the bum notes (either my playing or the Live generated ones, but mostly Ableton).

Three-hour ambient album


Disquiet Junto 0492 Kintsugi Rework

The Disquiet Junto project this week employs "the Japanese technique of mending broken ceramics as a metaphor for remixing."

My source material comes from 2015 and features my son Oscar singing the soundtrack to the game Earthbound (also known as Mother).

There's this deal I have with my kids that they're entitled to a 'no questions asked' day off school each term, so I think Oscar was home for one of those days.

I can't recall how we ended up recording his a cappella, but it's likely he was singing and I suggested we try recording.

The result was fantastic!

Last weekend Oscar and I recorded another song from the Mother series for an assignment.

He had wanted to recreate a piano and we'd found that Ableton Live's conversion to MIDI produced a disappointing result.

When the Junto instructions suggested fixing a broken vessel, I had an idea I could 'break' the track using the conversion process and then repair it using softer instruments.

However, I don't think this result is "more gorgeous, and more precious, than before it was fractured."