Disquiet Junto 0766 Rock Math

 
Mathematics is wasted on the young.

The Junto this week asks one to consider how a label like "math rock" might be subdivided, such as algebra or calculus.

I feel as though I am not familiar with either the genre or the discipline to give math the attention it deserves.

In my recent foray into teaching I found the subject to be a lot more interesting than I remembered of my time in school.

To begin I asked advice of my family and it seemed to provide a distinctly wide-ranging survey of the field.

My son studies extended mathematics in high school and began pondering co-sine equations as a way to generate sound, which was more advanced than I was willing to consider.

In contrast my partner chuckled at the thought of the "dummy maths" class and this seemed better suited for rock.

The little I know of "math rock" is the idea of using varying time signatures in composition and I really enjoy layering loops of differing lengths for the generative quality it adds.

However, my existing ideas were all a bit jazzy for rock.

So I began making riffs and that led me to add a 303, because it always seems a way to add energy to MIDI instrumentation and I think it rocks.

The video seemed perfect for the "dummy" class flavour and also captured something of my new found interest in mathematics.