Disquiet Junto 0660 Louis Blues St.

 

This week’s Junto project is a communal remix using either the original or the “denoised” version of this 1922 recording of the classic 'St. Louis Blues.' 

The "denoising" was remarkable when I went back to the original!

Marc's instructions state:

Break the track into segments. While you may be inclined toward tiny granular slivers, consider emphasizing bars or phrases. Experiment with segments of equal length and of varying lengths.

I found a number of bars that interested me and, given it was a remix, immediately set about adding percussion to drive my engagement with the piece.

Before long I'd started to apply my usual remix methodology, particularly gating sections and using Live's Beatrepeat function.

Some sections were reversed as well.

Finally, I applied Goodhertz' Lossy effect to add dynamics and give the drums a grittier sound that sat better with the source material.

The result gives me an early Kid Koala vibe and that's a good thing.