Disquiet Junto 0450 Texture Analysis

The Disquiet Junto activity this week involves "field recordings made at Carlo Bernasconi AG, a company that has been working in stone for over a century. The sounds range from machines to manual tools to spatial ambience."

These recordings were made by Tobias Reber and the project is a "collaboration with the 2020 Musikfestival Bern, which will be held in Switzerland from September 2 through 6 under the motto 'Tektonik'" -- which I used for a track title.

Participants are invited to "listen for aspects of the recordings that attract your ears" and  "create a piece of music combining elements from as few or as many as you chose".

My ears gravitate toward transients, and the tool sounds in particular were useful for creating percussion.

Most of the sounds I've used at their original pitch, but I did transpose one down for the kick sound by an octave and a half.

I looped a few sounds and added Ableton Live's Beatrepeat effect to a couple.

One of the sounds of distant machinery was also looped and I added a sidechained compressor linked to the kick, so it would be heard near the end of each bar.

To the percussive loops I've added some sounds of machinery, particularly where the pitch shifts, which gives a further sense movement in places.

Then I've added more of the tool recordings, as well as machinery.

The latter has been gated using Beatrepeat and I added a little distortion and delay to make that more dynamic.

Finally, I created busses for reverb and stereo-panning, as well as some more saturation.

The video shows copper smelting and comes from the Prelinger archive.

I searched for "mining" and thought this section looked like it might relate to the sounds heard.

This is my 233rd video response to a Disquiet Junto prompt and the full playlist can be found here.