Disquiet Junto 0272 Exoplanetary Intervals



Remarkably, six of the planets form the longest known chain where each orbits at a resonant frequency of it’s neighbor. From the slowest, the planets orbit at: 1x, 4/3x 2x, 3x, 5x, 8x. If you think of those as vibrating strings, they form a chord or scale: the slowest planet is the root, then fourth, octave, octave and fifth, two octaves and major third, three octaves.


When I first considered the notes I started with G on my 21-fret bass, which seemed to fall short. So I considered B on a five-string bass.

My idea was to improvise a few loops at different points on the fretboard and then set them running, preferably at varying lengths. In the end it got too hard.

There were different parts that worked, so I edited out the parts that didn't work and whittled the overlapping takes down. In the end I could hear some pleasing parts but lost interest in whittling the results further.

Recording layers of bass often ends up sounding muddy. So I choose a bright-sounding bass, then suffered the sound of fingers rubbing along the strings. In the recording above I used my UAD effects, particularly their de-esser.

After writing the above I went back and started playing with the recording in Live again, ending up with the version below. It was exported using VSTs, such as Valhalla and Ohmforce effects with Ozone mastering.

Initially I selected six loops as I'd initially planned and these were stereo panned. For variation I added sections where I was playing the loop as well as looped recordings but in the end there were five parts that were largely long takes.

Two parts are panned hard left and right, two more are at nine and three o'clock, while the last part has two reverbs and sits across both channels. One bass take has been reversed but, aside from a delay effect, all the parts are playing at their original pitches -- which almost covers both extremes of my five-string Warwick Rockbass.