Naviarbook 001 Music of Erich Zann



Naviar Records' laboratory started a new experiment this week, asking musicians to respond to a short story by HP Lovecraft.

The Music of Erich Zann is a classic and features the trademark character out of his depth narrating a strange tale.

Unlike my usual approach, I decided to take the inspiration literally and attempted to record a violin part via MIDI. The sound of the instrument comes from Ableton Live's suite. Like my usual approach, I recorded a single-take and edited it a little, including copying and pasting the MIDI to drive Absynth's demented string preset.

During the recording I was surprised to start thinking about playing in pitch blackness, so I closed my eyes and imagined a wind blowing through the room as demon lurks in a corner. Unlike Lovecraft, I reveal the supernatural musician at the end with a few solo notes.