AND, 1: Wind-up



The first track on AND is Wind-up. It started like many, a composition recorded for a Disquiet Junto exercise. It was only May this year and the idea was to create a soundtrack for a fake movie, a kinda kids horror film inspired by bad video games. My own inspiration for this piece was the Poltergeist Theme and I remember it was quickly written and recorded on a Sunday.



It seemed a good opening track as soon as I started collecting material for the album but it needed something. I added a field recording and was looking for something else when I remembered the Fisher Price Clock recorded to try out my then new contact microphone. Ableton Live time-stretched it to fit the track and, once I'd adjusted the key, it seemed to fit perfectly.

I think the idea to look for something else came from reflecting on this advice from Andrew Weatherall.