naviarhaiku510 – in pre-dawn darkness

 

The haiku shared by Naviar this week is different than I remembered.

Thinking back I can see that I read it earlier in the week and then associated the scene it describes with one I wrote in a recent short story, where pre-dawn rain was making percussive sounds on scrap metal.

My haiku might be:

in pre-dawn darkness
metal makes percussive sounds
rainfall in junkyard

Anyway, that's what led me to record this piece.

This week I'm traveling and had a couple of hours with my nephew's drums.

I recorded them first, using the Rode mic that attaches to my Nikon camera.

Then I quickly put together a chord progression that would suit the C key of my tongue drum, then recorded a couple of takes on that instrument.

It would've been good to add a bass but the ukulele and tongue drum were the only instruments at hand.