Disquiet Junto 134 Music From Choreography



Exciting Junto this week, composing a piece to accompany choreographed dance. I was pumped from playing my first gig in years and used the gear I'd patched together to improvise along with the video.

When I generated a random number to determine the section of video to compose with, I got a seven. I did a take playing along at the seven-minute mark but I didn't like that video as much as around the third-minute. I'll be honest, that section reminded me of Duran Duran's video for Girls On Film. I'll add my earlier take below as I like the vocal sample in it.

What you hear is a single take on electric bass and theremin. There's a third part created with a Super Ego pedal, which adds a pad-like drone from the bass. It wavers a bit, due to an old Ibanez unit that's transposed it up an octave. It gives it a kinda eerie feel.

One of the decisions made when improvising was to create a feel that added a sense of tension to the visuals. The key of D was what I'd been using for the part of my gig with the theremin. I could've used something else but I was happy to have some ideas that were already a bit developed and it's a great key for giving a sense of something a bit deep. I like the idea that the dancers are acting out a complex plot or relationship, so the music needed to convey something more than how fun it is to paint with your friend while you wear underpants.



Above is video of an alternate take. It's not the clearest picture but you can see a bit. The theremin is run through a Ravish sitar-emulator pedal, which keeps it in key and sounds nice. The bass is sorta sampled with a circuit bent Boss pedal. In the earlier take below I sampled my voice with the same effect, something I did for tracks in my set last night.



And at the bottom of this post is the audio track that was posted to the Disquiet Junto Soundcloud group, where you can hear all the other contributions.